This and other works brought to you by the Helena Rubinstein foundation and by the support of viewers like you.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Dinner of Champions

There is a Chinese dish here pronounced "Bah-coo-teh." Essentially it is stewed pork soup and is incredibly good. There is one place in China Town we often venture to for this delight. Along with the pork, they throw in some mushrooms, lettuce, some spongy stuff, and tripe (pig intestine) Imagine a hot dog minus the filling. Trust me, its great. Malaysians have a version substituting beef (daging) for pork that I've yet to try.

Below is my dinner served in a piping hot clay pot. (Say that 3 times fast). This is a classic Chinese table setting: A side of rice, soy sauce, raw garlic and diced chillies. One mixes the garlic, chillies and soy into a small dish for dipping or drizzling. And yes, that is ice in my beer. I don't remember when I started doing this but it's common here and I love it now. It really helps cut through the day's heat.


This is the outside of the restaurant. Most of these places look like holes in the wall, but serve marvelous food.

The pork is stewed in a big pot with spices and tons of fat, then ladled out onto the cutting board, chopped up and served immediately.

2 comments:

Bad Day Rae said...

Prepare to be dazzled by my awkwardness: my name is Rachel and I am a friend of your cousin Eileen Reiman. My family and hers have been friends for my entire life. I am away traveling (currently on day 138 to be exact) and am now in Thailand. Eileen thought you might be helpful to let me know about Malaysia, so she gave me your blog info. Not sure whether or not my bank account will make it there, but rumor has it you have weekends off and also come to Thailand sometimes. Seeing as how all the characters on the screen are in Thai, I don't know if there's a better way to contact you directly, but in case you or anyone who reads your blog was wondering, my email address is email.for.rachel@gmail.com... Get in touch with me so we can swap knowledge. Please :)

Judy said...

Wow......... I think I would most probably starve over there....... It looks good, but I am nowhere near as brave as you are. :)